- Organize and conduct sprint planning meetings, sprint retrospectives, product demos and daily scrums.
- Partner with Product Owners to achieve high-quality and timely deliverables based on highest business value.
- Manage sprint planning and execution, including providing clear visibility into sprint status.
- Participate in release planning and scheduling by providing scrum team statistics, identifying project dependencies, and creating velocity forecasts.
- Ensure high throughput of development teams by identifying and mitigating potential issues and roadblocks.
- Work with project stakeholders ensure product backlog is prioritized, groomed, and detailed to avoid any downtime, ambiguity or rework.
- Facilitate issue resolution within team, including sheltering scrum team from outside influences or diversions.
- Assist with backlog maintenance and prioritization of incident resolution
- Coach scrum team members in making appropriate commitments through story selection and task definition
- Create and maintain sprint and release burndowns, velocity metrics and projections, and forecasts in order to demonstrate visibility and enable timely adjustments.
Scrum Master Goals
The scrum master focuses on the process and aims to:
- maximize flow;
- minimize lead time;
- optimize the whole—that is, avoids sub-optimization.
In Dutch, you might say:
- van rietje naar ring;
- van waterval naar wendbaar™; en
- van schokken naar stromen™.
The scrum master's goals are:
- to make him or herself obsolete by making the team(s) competent and autonomous;
- to help reach the individual, group and organization reach its full potential;
- maximize flow and minimize lead time.
Key Succes Factors
For success, a scrum master must be:
Scrum Master Excellence
As scrum master…
|You ought to||Excel in rich modes of communication.
|Facilitate the team and process as a whole}}.
|Limit yourself primairily to process.
|Shield the team from management and stakeholders.|
|Represent the development teams towards the product owner on the minimal technical product quality requirements.
|Jointly with product owner define scope.|
|Inform product owner about progress.
|Be the central point of contact for the product owner and other stakeholders.|
|Help the product owner to align his or her activities with those of the development teams.
|Collaborate with the product owner on defining the definitions of ready to build and ready to ship.|
|Keep an accelerator list.
|You ought not to||Create or assign tasks|
|Manage anyone’s work
|Be the single point of contact
|You should not||tbs
- Inspect & Adapt » Geoff Watts » Towards a Definition of a Great ScrumMaster
- Think Different » Bob Marshall » The Universal Scrum Master Failure
- Think Different » Bob Marshall » The Scrum Master Role Is a Huge Waste of Human Potential
- Mountain Goat Software » Mike Cohn » Advice for Interviewing ScrumMasters
- InfoQ » Shane Hastie » The Scrum Master who Sold his Authority
Facts about "Scrum master"