Pairing is about:
- roles and the rotation of pairs rather than:
- the opportunity to always work with one’s best friend
- two people writing the same code.
To pair is hard. One way to break through the barriers is:
- Form pairs at the start of the day;
- leads look for the right ‘partner’ to work with on the work that lies right ahead.
- Rotate pairs after lunch
- leads looks for the right ‘partner’ to work with during the second half of the day.
This rotation offers team members the opportunity to get the best possible help for any given problem every half day.