…you're facing a tough and critical problem and you have already pulled the andon cord.
✣ ✣ ✣
Finding a solution for a tough problem unleashes new energy and gets things flowing again.
- If I had an hour to solve a problem I’d spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.
~ Albert Einstein The a3 solver typically:
- depicts an issue;
- analyzes the situation and its underlying causes;
- identifies the required outcome;
- proposes some corrective actions;
- prescribes an action plan (who will do what when); and
- creates a follow-up review process—all in one integrated A3-sized document.
Take a single A3 and describe the background, current situation and desired goals, as well as a number of experiments and ways to verify their outcomes.
✣ ✣ ✣
✣ ✣ ✣
Background information and templates.
- crisp.se » A3 Template in Google Docs
- DIY Lean » A3 Tool Overview
- DIY Lean » A3 Report Templates and Presentation
- Montana University » Durward Sobek » Steps of the A3 Process
- MIT Sloan Management Review » Michael S. Hopkins » Problem Solving By Design
- MIT Sloan Management Review » John Shook » How Toyota solves problems, creates plans, and gets new things done while developing an organization of thinking problem-solvers
- InfoQ » Claudio Perrone » Lean Thinking Applied for Organizational Change
- Seth’s Blog » Seth Godin » Agreeing on the problem
|Author||Martien van Steenbergen +|
|Goal||solve the root cause of a tough and expensive problem +|
|Pearl||Andon cord + and A3 solver +|
|So||Take a single A3 and describe the background, current situation and desired goals, as well as a number of experiments and ways to verify their outcomes. +|
|Wish||Finding a solution for a tough problem unleashes new energy and gets things flowing again. +|