Instant pay-off coaching
…someone comes to you to ask for help and you only have a couple of minutes.
✣ ✣ ✣
Even coaching in a hurry can help someone to unstuck and grow.
When you only have five minutes and still want to ‘unstuck’ someone to complete a task at hand:
- Ask the coachee to describe the current issue or problem, with specific examples and a small amount of relevant background.
- Ask the coachee to describe the outcome—paint as specific a ‘picture’ as possible of how things look when the issue is sorted. Do not try to solve the problem, but note down any emerging ideas.
- With the coachee, list all the obstacles and blocks that keep you from achieving the goal and sort them into three groups:
- Blocks that exist in the coachee—lack of skill or knowledge, low motivation, attitude, etc.
- Blocks that exist in others—anxious customer, manager stressed and panicking, etc.
- Blocks in the situation—inadequate resources, shift in deadlines, etc.
- Jointly brainstorm ways around these blocks, and possible next steps.
- Agree an approach, actions and timing.
Get familiar with instant pay-off coaching when you lack the time or knowledge to complete a full coaching dialog and really build someone’s skills.
Ask the coachee to describe the issue, desired outcome, obstacles, and jointly devise actions around the obstacles to reach the goal.
✣ ✣ ✣
instant pay-off coaching is similar to a light-weight version of the a3 solver. The Japanese are known to have grown a culture of kata and improvement kata. A pearl, pattern, and beyond bullet points all enjoy a similar structure and approach.
✣ ✣ ✣
|Author||Max Landsberg +|
|Goal||help someone get unstuck and grow +|
|Pearl||Ask for help +, Instant pay-off coaching +, A3 solver +, Kata +, Improvement kata +, Pearl +, Pattern + and Beyond bullet points +|
|So||Ask the coachee to describe the issue, desired outcome, obstacles, and jointly devise actions around the obstacles to reach the goal. +|
|Theme||Coach + and Trust +|
|Wish||Even coaching in a hurry can help someone to get unstuck and grow. +|