…you have assembled a group of people to tackle a tough job in a short amount of time.
✣ ✣ ✣
Quickly and nimbly speed towards a shared goal.
You want to take advantage of the golden triangle.
Set up and uphold a small set of roles, rituals, and social objects.
✣ ✣ ✣
✣ ✣ ✣
Martien van Steenbergen primarily uses these sources.
A good dose of discipline allows you to successfully implement:
Scenarios focus on the needs of the user roles:
- leads to product earlier;
- makes everything more practical, usable;
- limits you te create what is needed, not per sé what is possible;
- relates to activities on the work floor;
- prevents gold plating;
- Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber » The Scrum Guide—A summary of Scrum principles and practices by its creators.
- Scrum Atlas » Core Scrum
- YouTube » Kanban Applied to Scrum
- ABC News » The Deep Dive, about the IDEO Shopping Cart innovation in five days.
- RSA Animate » Dan Pink » Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us
- The Pentagon Wars » Bradley Fighting Vehicle Evolution
- The Pentagon Wars » Trailer
- David Anderson » Liquidity in Flow; and corresponding slide-deck on David Anderson » Lean Risk Management—Keynote on Options, Liquidity & Hedging Risk using Kanban Systems), over Liquiditeit, WIP, Lead Time, Cycle Time, Process Efficiency.
- Juran Institure » Quality Minute » The Jefferson Memorial about repeatedly asking “Why?” to get to the root cause of problems.
- Henrik Kniberg » Agile Product Ownership in a Nutshell
- Vi Hart » Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and Being a Plant (1 of 3)
Some of these articles contain Martien's highlights.
- David Joyce » Kanban for Software Engineering
- Jesper Boeg » Priming Kanban with Martien's highlights.
- Martien van Steenbergen » Babushka of Value (PDF)—a starting point for Kanban policies (admission criteria) on columns, and include ready to build and ready to ship (a.k.a. DoR and DoD).
- Michael Sahota » An Agile Adoption and Transformation Survival Guide: Working with Organizational Culture
Most Relevant Scrum Pearls
- Courage; and
Scrum Social Objects
Quality, a.k.a. ‘ilities’:
Pareltaal is the Dutch variant of Pearl Language.
- Sources on Pareltaal.nl:
Agile team dōjō
Ask for the moon
Babushka of value
Beauty of constraints
Blocker waiting room
Customer segment pivot
Daily scrum of scrums
Definition of done
Don’t just do something, stand there!
Focus on focus off
Habit of changing habits
Just say no
Ka-ching a day makes product owner hurray
Minimal viable product
One service deserves another
Physical information radiators
Product review meeting
Product vision board
Ready to build
Release burndown chart
Ritual dissent and assent... further results
There is a plethora of agile tools.
|Goal||jumpstart hyper-performing teams +|
|Pearl||Golden triangle +, Ready to build +, Ready to ship +, Product owner +, Scrum master +, Babushka of value +, Defintion of ready +, Defintion of done +, Team charter +, Planguage +, Agile + and Scrum +|
|So||Set up and uphold a small set of roles, rituals, and social objects. +|
|Theme||Agile +, Lean +, Scrum + and Team +|
|Wish||Quickly and nimbly speed towards a shared goal. +|